Waitrose only sources fish that has been responsibly caught or farmed. This means our suppliers must only source fish from fisheries or farmed aquaculture operations that are responsibly managed.
To be termed ‘responsible’ at Waitrose, our fish must meet the following criteria:
Fish must be:
1. A species that is not regarded as threatened or endangered.
2. Caught using a responsible fishing method.
3. Caught from a well-managed fishery or responsible farmed aquaculture production.
4. Fully traceable from catch to consumer.
5. Farmed under conditions that maximise the health & well being of the fish.
6. Farmed under well managed conditions that ensure the long term sustainable future of the environment and community.
7. Farmed using responsible considerations for the feed source.
Waitrose suppliers must also ensure that fish are caught using methods that minimise by-catch of vulnerable fish and non-targeted fish species, causing minimal impact on habitats and non-targeted species such as coral, seabirds and marine mammals. We actively support fishing practices that minimise discards and avoid the capture of immature and undersize fish.