Waitrose to offer customers restaurant-style dining experience
Waitrose customers will soon be able to enjoy a restaurant-style dining experience in the evenings.
The retailer is launching its first official 'Supper Club' at its new store in Haywards Heath where customers will be able to have a restaurant quality meal created by chefs from its three Cookery Schools.*
Customers will be able to choose from an exclusive three course menu (see details below); including nibbles and drinks, for £35.
Waitrose will transform the mezzanine level store café for eight evenings throughout April (19th; 20th; 27th and 28th) and May (3rd; 4th, 11th and 12th) and is taking bookings now for the 50 places available each evening at www.waitrose.com/supperclub.
Music and ambient lighting will feature while people dine and tables will be laid out for both couples and larger groups.
This is the first time the concept has been launched at a new store after it was trialled for a short period last year in its Newbury and Salisbury stores.
Manager of the Waitrose Cookery Schools, Karen Himsworth, said: 'This aims to deliver the next level of in store dining at Waitrose, building upon concepts like our sushi bars and wine bars. We want to make our stores a food destination in the evenings as well as in the day.
'We realise a supermarket might not spring to mind when people are thinking about dining out in the evening, but we want that to change. Our aim is to create an atmosphere that is inviting whether you are having a meal for two or out with a group of friends.
'We will look at next steps after we have finished the initial eight dates, but our aspiration is for this to continue at Haywards Heath and to explore how we might introduce at in other branches across the estate.'
Three course meal including nibbles and drinks - £35
Brown shrimp cocktail with wheaten bread
Edible garden - carrot crudité, mustard seed pickled radishes, carrot yoghurt, watercress with sourdough croutons
Roast chicken, ballotine of leg with braised gem, peas and asparagus with Madeira sauce
Salmon with brown butter, tender stem broccoli, Jersey royals, lemon and cauliflower purée
Roast and shaved cauliflower with maple seed granola and lettuce purée
Chocolate pavé with salted caramel popcorn and buttermilk ice cream
Notes to Editors
- *Waitrose has Cookery Schools in Finchley Road, King's Cross and Salisbury.
- Waitrose opened its new Haywards Heath store in Perrymount Road on Thursday 30 March.
- With 29,500 sq ft of selling space, the shop became the retailer's largest store in Sussex and the largest store Waitrose will open in 2017.
- Waitrose Haywards Heath is only the fourth Waitrose to include its new 'Kitchen' concept which offers customers a wide choice of food including breakfast, lunch and dinner options that are freshly prepared throughout the day to take away or eat in store.
It is also just one of eight Waitrose branches to include a wine bar where customers have the opportunity to enjoy a beer or wine by the glass along with deli platters and tapas.
A sushi bar manned by sushi chefs, who will prepare fresh products in front of customers throughout the day, features too.
- Waitrose - winner of the Best Supermarket¹ and Best Food and Grocery Retailer² awards - currently has 354 shops in England, Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands, including 60 convenience branches, and another 27 shops at Welcome Break locations. Waitrose also exports its products to 58 countries worldwide and has eight shops which operate under licence in the Middle East.
¹Which? Customer survey
²Verdict Customer Satisfaction Awards
For further information please contact:
James Armstronge, Corporate Communications Manager, Waitrose
Telephone: 01344 824657