Waitrose gives customers the power to pick their own offers with pioneering promotion
In a worldwide first, Waitrose will give its customers the power to pick which groceries they save money on every time they shop whether it's in a branch or online.
The game-changing scheme called 'Pick Your Own Offers' puts customers in the driving seat. From today, customers who are members of myWaitrose can choose the products they'd like to save 20 per cent on.
Customers will be able to select ten items from a list of nearly a thousand, from everyday or frequently bought items to special treats. Customers will still be able to benefit from the other offers available including the on-going myWaitrose benefits.
Pick Your Own Offers will be on top of Waitrose Brand Price Match, which will continue to match Tesco on branded products.*
Mark Price, Managing Director, Waitrose, said: 'This is a ground-breaking move giving customers the power to choose the offers they want. We know from the success of myWaitrose that customers like straightforward deals they can trust that are relevant to them. 'Pick Your Own Offers' goes one step further by putting them in control.
Different forms of personalised marketing have been around since the 1990s, but we're introducing mass customisation in grocery. Customers can choose what's valuable to them when they shop for groceries. We really are giving power to the consumer.'
How does 'Pick Your Own Offers' work?
- Customers can sign up to Waitrose.com or log on to their Waitrose.com account and choose ten products for a 20 per cent discount and make their initial selection online
- Once confirmed, the customer's selection then remains fixed for a set period. First selections will remain in place until the end of summer
- Each time the customer buys their selected products in store or online, the 20% discount will be automatically applied
- For this to happen, the customer's myWaitrose card must be swiped in store, and linked to their Waitrose.com account online
- Customers who sign up for the scheme by July 7 2015 will receive £6 off a £60 shop.
The list of nearly 1,000 products has been selected from the most popular items Waitrose customers usually put in their shopping baskets and will offer a combination of branded and own brand groceries.
The 'Pick Your Own Offers' promotion is part of the range of benefits Waitrose offers through the myWaitrose scheme which now has over 5 million members, with 70% of Waitrose sales made using a myWaitrose card.
Notes to Editors
* For terms and conditions for Brand Price Match see www.waitrose.com/home/groceries/waitrose_brand_pricematch/terms_and_conditions.html
**Kantar Worldpanel Total Grocery, 12 week ending 26 May 2015
Waitrose - the Nation's Favourite Supermarket¹ and winner of the Best Supermarket² and Best Food and Grocery Retailer³ awards - currently has 339 shops in England, Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands, including 60 convenience branches, and another 29 shops at Welcome Break locations. It combines the convenience of a supermarket with the expertise and service of a specialist shop - dedicated to offering quality food that has been responsibly sourced, combined with high standards of customer service. Waitrose also exports its products to 50 countries worldwide and has seven shops in the Middle East. (www.waitrose.com)
¹ Conlumino Awards, 2014
² Good Housekeeping Best Supermarket 2014, Which? Best Supermarket 2014
³ Verdict Best Food and Grocery Retailer 2014
For further information please contact:
Communications Manager, Corporate, Waitrose
Telephone: 01344 826804
Mobile: 07525 273 147