John Lewis to open at Heathrow's Terminal 2
Retailer marks international departure
John Lewis today announced its ambition to bring the brand to a new set of international customers by confirming plans to open at Heathrow's Terminal 2 on 4 June 2014.
The retailer is investing over £1million in a 3,600 sq ft shop at the airport, curating the best of home, fashion, gifting and seasonal ranges. John Lewis Heathrow will showcase many of its own-brand products, designer collaborations and exclusives.
The new Terminal 2, to be known as 'Terminal 2 : The Queen's Terminal', in honour of Her Majesty The Queen is the latest phase of the five year, £11 billion transformation of Heathrow. John Lewis Heathrow will be located on the top floor of the departure lounge and will form part of the first impression for passengers passing through security. The plans include the creation of around 40 new jobs.
Andy Street, managing director, John Lewis said: 'This new opening is a huge and exciting step forward in developing our international strategy, giving us access to one of the most concentrated, valuable and influential markets in the world. We recently made clear our ambition to further develop our online presence internationally in addition to increasing our international wholesale business. This opportunity at Heathrow perfectly complements and enhances these initiatives.'
Muriel Zingraff-Shariff, retail director, Heathrow said: 'We're excited to bring John Lewis to Heathrow and share this much loved British retail brand with our international audience. Our passengers love the retail experience at Heathrow and this shows our commitment to delivering stores that will delight them and bring real value to their journey. It's just one of the reasons we've been voted Europe's Best Airport at ACI's 9th annual Airport Awards.'
John Lewis currently delivers to 33 countries outside the UK and Ireland which equates to 75 per cent of Terminal 2 destinations. The retailer is also expanding its international wholesale business developing a specific offer focused on bed, bath and tableware in partnership with four Shinsegae department stores in South Korea, with plans to roll out the offer to more of their stores.
Built and designed with passengers at its heart, Terminal 2 will be a spacious, open terminal with multi-lingual ambassadors and personal shoppers on hand to help customers make the most of their journey. Heathrow is home to some of the world's most successful retail space with annual net sales of over £1.7 billion serving passengers from around 180 worldwide destinations.
Notes to editors
The John Lewis Partnership - The John Lewis Partnership operates 39 John Lewis shops across the UK (30 department stores and nine John Lewis at home), johnlewis.com, 292 Waitrose shops, waitrose.com and business to business contracts in the UK and abroad. The business has annual gross sales of over £9.5bn. It is the UK's largest example of worker co-ownership where all 84,700 staff are Partners in the business.
John Lewis - John Lewis, 'Retailer of the Year 2013'* 'The Nation's Best Retailer'** and 'Best Retailer 2013' ***, typically stocks more than 350,000 separate lines in its department stores. The website stocks over 200,000 products focused on the best of fashion, beauty, home and giftware and electrical items including online exclusives. johnlewis.com is consistently ranked one of the top online shopping destinations in the UK. (www.johnlewis.com). John Lewis Insurance offers a range of comprehensive insurance products - home, car, wedding and event, travel and pet insurance and life cover - delivering the usual values of expertise, trust and customer service expected from the John Lewis brand.
*Oracle Retail Week Awards 2013
** Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Awards 2013
*** Which? Awards 2013
You can follow John Lewis on the following social media channels:
- In 2012, Heathrow challenged retailers to respond to six key directions including multi-channel experiences, customised services and an emphasis on mobile interaction on in order to win a contract at Terminal 2
- Each unit at Terminal 2 received an average of five proposals, surpassing the tender process for Terminal 5
- Terminal 2 will have 67 outlets in total including shops, bars and restaurants
- Heathrow has been named 'Best Airport for Shopping' four times in a row at the Skytrax World Airport Awards, independently voted for by passengers (2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013)
Terminal 2 : The Queen's Terminal, phase 1 is a £2.5bn development:
- The terminal will eventually serve 20 million passengers a year and be home to 23 Star Alliance airlines, as well as Aer Lingus, Virgin Atlantic Little Red and germanwings carriers.
- An average of 55,000 passengers will arrive and depart from the Terminal daily once in full operation
- Despite being built in the centre of the world's busiest international airport, the construction project has not disrupted daily operations. The project is one of the largest privately funded construction projects in the UK and will have supported 35,000 jobs across the country by the time it opens.
- The old Terminal 2 opened in 1955, shut after 54 years of service in 2009.
For further information please contact:
Senior Press Officer (Branches and Retail Development) John Lewis
Telephone: 0207 592 6058
Mobile: 07764 693503